Creamy Asparagus Soup
Spring is just around the corner and I can’t help but get excited about it. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping things will get back to normal soon all around the world. As much as I love the snowy winter, I think the extra daylight hours in spring and summer does have a positive effect on the mind and overall well being. I’m also so looking forward to another good season of vegetable gardening. Speaking of vegetables, Asparagus is in season and we are trying to make the most of it. I’m not a fan of asparagus as I find it to have a grassy flavor. But, we still get it every year throughout Spring as it is a nice break from the routine vegetables we eat all year around. I almost always make this super easy soup with it. I love adding some heavy cream to it to make it extra smooth and creamy. It also makes the asparagus flavor subtle and easy to savor!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 2.5 lbs Asparagus
- 1 medium sized onion
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning mix
- 3/4th teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4th cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- Cut the asparagus into 2 inch pieces and discard the bottom thickest part of it. Rinse it thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat a couple of teaspoons of oil. Add minced garlic and saute for a minute. Add chopped onions and saute for 5 to 6 minutes until they are translucent. Add paprika, italian seasoning mix, crushed back pepper, salt and saute for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, add the asparagus and about 2 and 1/2 cups of water or vegetable stock. Cover and bring it to a boil for about 10 mins until the asparagus has softened up.
- When it is not too hot to handle, blend everything smoothly in a blender. Empty the soup into the sauce pan, adjust salt and pepper if needed. Add heavy cream and let simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve it warm with a dash of black pepper and a touch of heavy cream for added flair.
Enjoy this nourishing soup alongside your favorite bread or a sandwich!