Chicken Seekh Kebabs
I’m back to this space after a while. I think I’ve been saying this way too often now. How I wish I could keep this space consistent. But, in the midst of everyday life, blogging often takes a back seat. Keeping aside how much I’ve missed shooting and posting the recipes here, I feel this short break from blogging was good. I didn’t always have to daydream about which recipe would make a good blog post and instead I could just cook our favorite dishes, experiment a few new recipes and not get too frustrated with a few recipe disasters.
These seekh kebabs happened on a lazy weekend afternoon. We had a proper meal of chicken curry and rice planned, but we ended up having these kebabs for lunch. They were that good. Seekh Kebabs are basically marinated meat on skewers cooked to perfect tenderness. At home, these can be prepared in the oven or over the grill. Patiently mold these kebabs onto the skewers with cubes of onion and peppers in between the meat for a more vibrant dish.
For minced meat dishes we mostly use mutton. But, I was pleased with how flavorful and easy to cook chicken keema was. These kebabs are perfect starters for any party. They can be assembled well ahead and when it’s time to cook, just pop these into the oven and cook for 30 to 35 mins. If making flat kebabs on the stove-top, just cook them in a few tsps of oil for atleast 4 to 5 mins on each side making sure they are cooked through.
Drizzle some lime juice, garnish with coriander and serve these delicious kebabs with chutney and ketchup.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 to 35 mins
– 1 lb chicken keema (ground)
– 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
– 3 or 4 finely chopped green chillies
– 1 small egg
– 1 Tbsp oil
– 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
– 1 tsp red chilli powder
– 1 tsp garam masala
– 1 tsp salt or to taste
– 3/4th tsp ginger & garlic paste
– 1/2 cup chopped coriander
– 2 tsps lime juice
– wooden or metal skewers
1. If using wooden skewers soak them in water for at-least 30 mins.
2. In a mixing bowl, take ground chicken. Add all the ingredients and with a spoon or your hands mix everything well.
3. Preheat the oven to 475 deg F. If your oven tends to overheat, keep the temperature at 450 deg F.
4. To assemble, brush some oil onto the skewers. Wet your hands with water and mold the kebabs onto the skewers. Carefully place these onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper/aluminium foil.
5. Brush oil over the kebabs and put it into the oven. Let it cook for at-least 30 to 35 mins turning them once half-way.
6. Remove from the oven, drizzle a tsp of lime juice and serve them with some coriander chutney and/or ketchup.
7. If making these kebabs on the stove top, cook them in a few tsps of oil for at-least for 5 mins on each side on a low-medium flame.
Serve with coriander chutney and/or ketchup and savor these delicious bites!
– It make take some time to mold the meat mixture onto the skewers. I’ve found that Wetting your hands with some water to mold them is quite helpful.