Coffee and Cinnamon-Almond Streusel Muffins
It often makes me ponder how the little things we do regularly turn into a habit and some of those habits gradually become compulsive rituals. They may not always be healthy to the mind and body but just mere ‘indulgences’ that helps or rather invigorates us to get through the day. One such ‘ritual’ I have grown accustomed to over the past few years is drinking coffee every morning. I kinda look forward to it (no, I’m not exaggerating). The smell of freshly brewed coffee….nothing quite like it! Many a times I’ve tried to give up coffee, but couldn’t. And since, I only have half a cup each day, I haven’t tried quitting it again at-least for now. Nothing else gives me a fresh start to the day like it does.
Ever since childhood I have been averse to milk. Even the smell of dairy especially milk and yogurt would make be feel nauseated. Gradually, that queasiness has subsided a little in the sense that I slowly started having tea, coffee and yogurt. But, even to this day I just cannot drink just plain milk with or without sugar. There has to be some kind of additional flavor or taste to really enjoy it. Back at home, tea was the regular drink and coffee was just on weekends. Although I never loved tea I used to have it regularly in my college days because I did not dislike it either. It was during graduation days here that the coffee bug bit me and I’ve been hooked ever since.
As much as I love coffee as a drink, I love the unique flavor it gives when added to baked goodies like cakes and muffins. This muffin is probably one of my favorite kinds of breakfast muffins that perfectly accompanies morning coffee. It is equally desirable as a snacking treat at tea time. These muffins combine the scrumptious flavors of coffee and cinnamon beautifully. The recipe is quite simple…starts with a basic muffin batter by replacing part of the liquid ingredients with freshly brewed coffee. I made the streusel with cinnamon and slivered almonds as the main ingredients. The almonds in the streusel add a nice crunch apart from giving a pale nutty flavor from the baking. These muffins are not over-powered with sugar…the base muffin is barely sweet, the brown sugar in the streusel is what gives these goodies a hint of sweetness.
Serve them at room temperature along side coffee, tea or milk. Drizzle honey or maple syrup if you like your muffins sweeter!
Prep time: 20 mins
Baking time: 25 mins
Serves: Makes 6 or 7 standard size muffins
– all purpose flour- 1 cup
– whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
– baking powder – double acting – 1n1/2 tsp
– sugar – 1/3 cup
– salt – 1/2 tsp
– coffee (brewed) – 1/2 cup
– egg – 1
– sour cream – 3 table-spoons
– canola oil – 1/4th cup
For the streusel,
– unsalted butter – 2 table-spoons
– all purpose flour – 1 tablespoon
– brown sugar – 2 tablespoons
– ground cinnamon – 1n1/2 tsp
– almonds – chopped or slivered – handful
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
2. In a wide mixing bowl, take all the dry ingredients and mix everything together. In another mixing bowl, take all the wet ingredients and whisk well.
3. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Do not over-mix. If you think the batter is too dry, add more brewed coffee or sour cream.
4. Line and lightly grease the muffin pan and scoop the batter evenly into the muffin cups until 3/4th full.
5. In a small bowl mix together the streusel ingredients and add at the top of the muffin batter.
6. Pop it into the oven and bake for 22 to 25 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Serve as a breakfast or tea time treat drizzled with honey or maple syrup for added sweetness.
– Substitute almonds with walnuts, pecans or any other nuts you like.
– For storage, place them in air-tight containers. They should keep good for at-least a week when refrigerated.
Your muffins look so delicious and I love that they’re coffee flavoured – yum!
Thanks much! Rosie. 🙂 They tasted great! I’m huge fan of coffee flavored treats too!
I love the photos in this post and the muffins came out stunning. I am a tea drinker but love coffee flavor on sweet treats.
Thanks so much! Kankana 🙂 The muffins did turn out great! I too love coffee flavored treats…there is something fresh and beautiful about the bitter coffee taste in baked goodies!
Beautfiul and delicious looking! I love how you stack the muffins like dominoes or blocks. How fun!
Thanks a lot! 🙂
What a fantastic post! Thanks so much for sharing your delicious bake! =)
thank-you! 🙂 thanks much for stopping by!