Chicken Tikka Skewers with Yogurt-Mint Chutney!
Whether it’s a get-together of family and friends or a special occasion at home, ‘Chicken’ is always my favorite non-vegetarian choice to cook or have! Whether it is a simple grilled chicken or a traditional spicy chicken-curry it is always a fancy dish and a party favorite!
‘Chicken Tikka’ is one of the most popular Indian dishes world-wide. ‘Tikka’ usually refers to pieces of marinated meat cooked in a ‘Tandoor’, a traditional clay oven. Ofcourse, meat can be readily substituted with paneer or vegetables like cauliflower and potatoes which are equally drool-worthy. The authentic tandoor gives a nice smoky flavor to the meat/paneer/veggies and the closest option to a tandoor would be a grill followed by a conventional oven. Apart from the smokiness, a really good spicy marinade is what makes these tikkas all the more delicious and delectable.
Serve these paired with chutney or gravy with naan, rotis or tortillas to make filling lunch wraps!
Prep time: 5 mins + 60 mins to marinate
Cook time: 10 to 15 mins
Serves: 3 or 4 – Makes 6 to 8 skewers
– Chicken Breast (Boneless) – Cut into small-sized cubes
– Shallots – 6 or 8
– Cherub Tomatoes – 10 or 12
– Bell Peppers – Colors of your choice – 2
– Oil – a few tsps
– Skewers – Wooden or Stainless Steel
For the marinade,
– Plain Yogurt – 1 cup (use thick yogurt)
– Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
– Red Chilli powder/Paprika – 2 tsps
– Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
– Ginger-Garlic paste – 3/4th tsp
– Lime juice – 3 tsps
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp
– Coriander leaves – finely chopped – a handful
1. Soak wooden skewers in a bowl of water for at-least 30 to 40 mins.
2. In a mixing bowl, take a cup of plain thick yogurt. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam-masala powder, ginger-garlic paste and salt. Mix well. Taste it and adjust salt and spice level as needed.
3. Cut chicken into 2 inch cubes and bell peppers into 2 inch pieces. Shallots and Cherub-Tomatoes are bite-sized, so I didn’t bother cutting them. Toss everything into the prepared marinade. Mix well so that the chicken and the veggies are nicely coated with the marinade. Cover and let it sit for at-least an hour or more so that they breathe in all the spiciness and flavors from the marinade.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 375 deg F.
5. Take the soaked skewers, and start arranging the chicken and veggies on an order of your choice. Play around with the colors. Take a baking sheet and arrange the skewers on it leaving some space between them. I used a cake pan lined with some parchment paper (for easy cleaning) because any extra marinade or oil could drip into the pan and also the chicken and veggies will cook nicely all around.
6. Drizzle a tsp of oil over the skewers and pop into the oven. Let cook for 12 to 15 mins. Remove from oven and drizzle a tsp of lime juice over all the skewers.
Yogurt Mint Chutney
Take a cup of plain thick yogurt in a bowl. In a blender or mortar & pestle take a bunch of fresh mint leaves and beat into a coarse paste. Add this to the yogurt. Also, add some salt and grate some garlic into it. Mix well. Give a taste test and adjust salt if needed. Chill until serving time!
Serve these gorgeous looking and luscious tasting ‘Chicken Tikkas’ topped with flavorful and fresh ‘Yogurt Mint Chutney’ with Roti, Naan or Rice!