Vegetable Minestrone Soup
Want a meal to be filling and super-healthy? ‘Soup’ is the way to go! The one with lots of veggies, beans of your choice, and some comforting pasta cooked in a tasty, spicy broth which is exactly what this ‘Minestrone Soup’ is!
Prep time: 20 mins to cut all the vegetables + few hours to soak and cook the cannellini beans
Cook time: 30 to 40 mins
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 1n1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons Italian dry herb seasoning
- 3/4th teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups water (or broth if using – I like to also use the water left from cooking cannellini beans)
- 1 cup un-cooked elbow pasta
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- salt to taste
- Soak the cannellini beans in water overnight or for at least 4 to 6 hrs. Then, cook it until the beans are soft and tender.
- In a deep pot, heat the olive oil. Add garlic, onions and bay leaves. Sauté for 3 to 5 mins until light brown.
- Add paprika, dry seasoning and black pepper followed by celery and carrots. Mix everything well, cover and let cook to 6 to 8 minutes until they have softened a bit. Add green beans now and further cook for another 5 mins.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water/broth and pasta. Let it cook for 6 to 8 mins. Add spinach and the cooked cannellini beans. Add salt and let the soup simmer for another 5 mins.
Serve warm with a dash of ground black pepper and some dry seasoning. You could also use parmesan cheese to spruce it up! All in all this is a super nutritious and filling minestrone soup perfect for a comforting lunch or dinner!
Pingback: Great Recipes from Other Bloggers – Part II
Pingback: A look back & a step forward « Food Paradise!
Man! I wish there were a way to download that– it looks absolutely superb! And I swear I can almost smell it, too… : P“`
haha….that would be really good….if only we could simply download our fav food right from our computer screens! thanks much for stopping by!
beautiful soup! bright colours and the recipe is so perfect. yum
thanks a lot! 🙂 you must try it out!
Yes please! Oh I’m definitely making this is fall/winter! Thanks!!
you should! :)….it’s perfect for a chilly or a rainy day!
This minestrone looks amazing! Love the bright, red broth. The cinnamon and cloves must give a great flavor, got to try :).
thanks a lot!….yes, the spices sure gave a nice kick to the soup…you must try it out! :). the best thing is – make it in large quantities and you can have it for more than once throughout the week! 🙂