Aluminium Foil and Glue Art
Yes, art using Aluminium foil and glue! How easy does it sound! I came across this idea on Pinterest which led me to this lovely blog ArtClubBlog . It looked pretty easy to make and I wanted to try it out. Moreover, I am a huge fan of anything that has a hint of metallic tones, textures or looks. I was apprehensive on how well it will turn out but in the end I’m pretty happy with it.
Things you’ll need:
– Aluminium foil
– Aleene’s Tacky Glue (This glue doesn’t spread out easily)
– Cardboard or Foam Board
– Cotton Swabs
– Black Paint or Ink or Shoe Polish
– Tissue papers
1. Take a surface you want to make this piece on. A cardboard or a foam board should be good. Cut in the desired size. I initially though of making two of these, but made only one.
2. Choose a design you want to use. Either trace or draw onto the cardboard. Take the Tacky glue and go over the design using nice thick lines. Let it dry for a couple of hours.
3. When the glue is completely dry, it will look transparent. Now, take the aluminium foil and cut it in a size little larger than the cardboard. Place the foil on the design and using a cotton swab gently press it along the design. You will see an embossed design on the foil.
4. When you are happy with the embossing, glue the extra inches of the foil to the back of the cardboard. At this point, it looked very bland to me. So I added random crisscross lines all around the design which gave it some nice details.
5. Now, to get that metallic look, take some black paint. Mix about a drop of water and apply all over the design. Wait fora minute or two and before it dries out, using a tissue paper simply wipe out any excess paint. The paint will settle into the grooves and give a nice look.
6. Hang it just like this or use a frame like I did.
In all, this was a really inexpensive project. I only had to purchase the tacky glue which was well under 2 bucks! So go ahead and make one, experiment with the design, details and textures.
– I used a cardboard since I already had pieces lying around. But, I think it would be preferable to use a foam board to get a nicer end product.
– Instead of paint, you could also use shoe polish or ink. It will give a similar look.