Carrot Stir fry
Yesterday, when I started to chop carrots to make ‘Veggie Hakka Noodles‘ for our dinner, I realized I had actually bought them to make a stir-fry that would go well with rice as well as roti.
The aromatic spices make the dish savory and the carrots add their sweetness to it. I also like to add green peas as it adds to the sweetness as well as makes the dish even more colorful!
You don’t eat rice or roti? No worries! Turn it into a salad* and enjoy!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 to 25 mins
– Carrots – 1n1/2 lbs – chopped evenly into small pieces
– Green peas – 1/2 cup
– Onion – 1/2 – finely chopped
– Green chillies – 3 – chopped
– Curry leaves – a handful
– Ginger-garlic paste – 1/4th tsp
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
– Red chilli powder – 1n1/4th tsp
– Salt – 1n1/4th tsp or as per taste
1. Take a wok or a non-stick pan. Heat about 2 tsps of oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. When they start to splutter, add chopped onions and green chillies.
2. Saute well until the onions are translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Saute well for a couple of minutes.
3. Add chopped carrots now. Saute, then cover and let cook for around 10 to 12 mins. Keep checking in between to avoid burning at the bottom. Now, add green peas. Cover and cook for another 10 mins.
We relished it with rice and tomato dal for a nice delicious meal.
– You can also add potatoes to the dish to balance out the sweetness of the carrots.
– To make a simple salad out of it, you can cut the carrots into bigger chunks and cook it with a dash of paprika and salt. Make a simple yogurt and mint dressing to go with it and you have a nice hearty and tasty salad to enjoy!