Palli (Peanuts) Chutney
Prep + Cook time: 25 to 30 mins
– Palli/Peanuts – 1n1/2 cups
– Onion – 1 small – finely chopped
– Dry red chillies – 3 or 4
– Tamarind juice – 3 tsps
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or as per taste
– Coriander leaves – few
For the tempering,
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Dry Red Chillies – 2
– Urad Dal – 1 tsp
– Curry Leaves – a handful
1. In a wide pan, dry roast the peanuts until lightly brown. This gives a nice smokey flavor to the chutney. Keep an eye on the peanuts else they will get charred pretty soon. Then remove them onto a plate and let them cool down a little. Now, peel off the skins (It should be easier after roasting them) and keep aside.
2. In the same pan, heat about 2 tsps of oil. Add chopped onions and dry red chillies. Saute until the onions are translucent.
3. In a blender, take the peanuts, onions and dry red chillies. Add tamarind juice, half-a-cup of water and blend into a smooth paste. Add salt and another half-cup of water and blend again. The paste shouldn’t be too watery nor too thick. Remove it into a bowl.
4. Now for the tempering, you can use the same pan. Add 2 tsps of oil and when hot enough add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dry red chillies, urad dal and curry leaves. Saute for a minute or two and then mix it into the peanut paste.
Enjoy this lip smacking chutney with idly, dosa or pesarattu.
Pingback: Pesarattu – Moong Dal Dosa (Green Gram Crepes) | Food Paradise!!!
Yum! This is so lovely. Thanks for sharing! I’m glad I stumbled across your blog on here – love it!
Thanks a lot! Becca….I’m glad you liked it. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!