‘Aloo Gobi’ is one popular dish from India. Cauliflower and Potatoes are cooked or rather roasted in a blend of spices. It is beautiful and flavorful at the same time. In our home, we love cauliflower and cook it quite frequently – with potatoes or without potatoes it always tastes great.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
– Cauliflower – 1 large-sized – cut into florets
– Potatoes – 1 large or 2 medium-sized – peeled and diced into cubes
– Tomatoes – 1 medium-sized – finely diced
– Green peas – 1/2 cup (optional)
– Onions – 1 medium-sized – finely chopped
– Green chillies – 4 – finely chopped
– Turmeric powder – 1n1/4th tsp
– Red chilli powder – 2 tsps or as per taste buds
– Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Cloves – 2 or 3
– Ginger-garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
– Cilantro/Coriander leaves – a handful
1. Take a wide skillet on the stove and heat about 3 tsps of oil. Add, cumin seeds and cloves. When they splutter, add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
2. Now, add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes. Then, add tomatoes and saute further until the tomatoes are tender enough.
3. In the meanwhile, get the cauliflower and potatoes ready. Make sure the cauliflower florets are not very small, else while cooking they get mushy. Also, after washing the florets under water give some time to drain all the water and try to pat the florets with a paper towel just to remove any wetness so that the curry does not become watery.
4. Once, the tomatoes are done, add the cauliflower and potatoes. Saute well making sure the florets and potatoes are well coated with the spices. Cover and cook for at-least 10 mins.
5. Add green peas now. Remove the cover and let cook for another 12 to 15 mins. Give a taste test now and add any salt if required.
6. Empty the curry into a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
Serve with roti or naan.