Gokarakaya/Goru Chikkudu (Guwar Beans/Cluster Beans) curry
Gokarakaya/Goru Chikkudu is yet another flavorful and easy to cook variety of beans rich in fiber and protein content. It can be cooked in many different ways – marrying it with potatoes is one of them.
Prep + Cooking time: 45 mins
– Gokarakaya – 1n1/2 lbs
– Aloo/Potatoes – 3 small sized
– Onions – 1 small-sized
– Green chillies – 4
– Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Curry leaves – a handful
– Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
– Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or to taste
1. Take the beans in a colander and rinse well under water. Remove the ends, cut each into 1-to-1.5 inch length pieces and set aside.
2. Wash the potatoes, peel off the skin and cut into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
3. In a pressure cooker/skillet, heat about 2 to 3 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to splutter add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Add chopped potatoes and gokarakaya now. Add 1/4th cup of water. If using a pressure cooker, cover and cook for a couple of whistles which should take around 15 to 20 mins; if using a skillet….cover and cook for at-least 40 to 45 mins frequently checking in between avoid burning out the beans. After it is cooked, turn the stove to medium-high heat so that the extra water evaporates yielding a nice curry.
Serve with rotis and/or rice.