Chana Palak/Chickpeas with Spinach
Chana/Chickpeas is known for its high fiber and protein content and Spinach for its nutritional value. Combining both of them together brings out a healthy and savory dish.
The basic ingredient combo idea of Chickpeas and Spinach for this recipe was inspired from one lovely blog ‘Smitten Kitchen‘.
Prep + Cooking time: 35 mins
Serves: 4 to 6
– Chickpeas/Chana – 30 oz either soaked in water or canned
– Spinach – 1 cup
– Onions – 2 small sized
– Green Chillies – 4
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Cloves – 3 or 4
– Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
– Red Chilli powder – 2 tsps
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or to taste
1. In a wide skillet or a cooking pot heat about 2 to 3 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds and cloves.
2. Once, they start to splutter add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for a few minutes until the onions become translucent.
3. Now, add trumeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes.
4. In the meanwhile, rinse the chickpeas and spinach well under running water. Drain all the water and add to the skillet.
5. Add a cup of warm water to the pot. Cover and let cook for about 12 to 15 mins. If using canned chickpeas it should be cooked under 12 mins. Else, cook it a little longer.
Keeping a count on my calorie intake, so made some pulkas (Rotis made dry without using oil) to go with it. Goes equally well with rotis/chapathis or warm rice.