Prep + Cook time: 45 to 50 mins
– Thotakura – 2 bunches
– Chana dal – a fistful
– Onions – 1 medium sized
– Green chillies – 4
– Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
– Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
– Red chilli powder – 1n1/2 tsp
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or as desired
1. Take the Thotakura bunches, separate the leaves, wash them under cold water to remove any dirt and mud. Drain all the water and squeeze the leaves to remove any excess water. Chop them and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, soak a fistful of chana dal for about 10 mins.
3. In a wide skillet, heat about 2 tsps of oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once, they start to splutter add the chana dal and saute until they are light brown.
4. Now add chopped onions, green chillies and saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent enough.
5.Then, add turmeric, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and saute for a couple of mins.
6. Now, add the chopped thotakura leaves to the skillet. Mix well, cover and let it cook for at least 10 to 15 mins so that the leaves are tender and well cooked.
This is a perfect healthy meal when served with rice or chapathis as thotakura is well known for its vitamin and mineral content.