Prep + Cooking time: 45 to 50 mins
– Toor Dal – 1 cup
– Onion – 1 – small or medium sized
– Green Chillies – 4 or 5
– Tamarind Juice – 1/2 cup
– Tomatoes – 2 or 3
– Carrots – 1 cup
– Jaggery or Sugar – 1 tsp
– Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
– Red Chilli powder – 1n1/2 tsp
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or to taste
– Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
– Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
– Curry leaves – a handful
1. In a pressure cooker, take one cup of toor dal. Rinse under running water a couple of times. Add about 2 cups of water, half tsp of turmeric and cook the dal until very soft.
2. In a wide cooking pot, heat about 2 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and once they splutter add chopped onions, green chillies and all the vegetables.
3. Saute for a couple of mins and then add the tamarind juice to it. Add a cup of water. Cover the pot and cook until the vegetables are soft enough.
4. Now, add the cooked dal to the pot. Add a cup of water. Cover and let it cook for about 5 to 6 mins.
5. Add sugar, jaggery, red chilli powder and salt at this stage.
6. Further, bring it to a boil for about 5 mins. Chop some coriander leaves and a simple/basic version of pappu charu is ready!
7. Serve with white rice with some papad or chips on the side.
– To make pappu charu more fancy, you can add a variety of vegetables like Bendakaya/Okra, Vankaya/Brinjal, Mulangi/Randish etc. to make a lip smacking meal.