Palli/Peanuts Pachi Pulusu
– Palli/Peanuts – 1/4th cup
– Cumin seeds – 3/4th tsp
– Nuvvulu/Sesame seeds – 1/4 cup – Mustard seeds – 3/4th tsp
– Green Chillies – 5
– Curry leaves – 10 to 12
– Onions – 1 small
– Tamarind pulp – a handful loosely packed
– Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
– Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
– Salt – to taste
– Sugar – 2 to 3 teaspoons (Can use jaggery too)
– water – 3 to 4 cups
1. In a pan, dry roast the peanuts and sesame seeds for a few minutes until they are golden brown. Let them cool down a bit.
2. In a mixie/blender, take the roasted peanuts and sesame seeds and pulse into a fine powder.
3. Rinse the tamarind pulp and then soak it in a cup of water. Heat it for a couple of mins which will soften up the tamarind. Once the water is cool enough to handle, squeeze the pulp to get the tamarind juice. You can discard the pulp or can store it and reuse it once more.
4. Take this tamarind juice in a bowl. Add the peanut & sesame powder. Add 2 more cups of water to the bowl.
5. Now, for the popu/talimpu/tadka, heat about 2 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and roast/fry for about a minute or two. Just before turning off the heat I add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and sugar to the same pan. Add all of this to the pulusu.
6. Finally, add some chopped onions and green chillies. Mix everything well. Adjust salt or sugar if needed. Add a handful of coriander leaves and we have the palli pachi pulusu ready to serve!
This goes especially well with pulav/bagara rice!