Nimmakaya Pulihora/Chitrannam/Lemon Rice
Prep + Cooking time: 30 mins
– Lemon juice – 1/4 cup or equivalent to 2 lemons
– Rice – 2 cups
– Peanuts – 1/2 cup
– Urad dal – 2 tsps
– Chana dal – 2 tsps
– Red Chillies – 4
– Green Chillies – 3
– Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
– Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
– Turmeric powder- 1n1/2 tsp
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp
– Curry leaves – 6 to 8
– Hing/Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
1. Cook rice. Once done, empty the rice into a wide bowl and let it cool down.
2. In a pan, heat about 3 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once, they start to splutter add the urad dal, chana dal and saute until it turns pale brown. (Make sure they don’t get burnt.)
3. Add peanuts and saute for a couple of mins.
4. Now, add green chillies, dry red chillies and saute for a minute or two.
5. Then, add turmeric powder, salt and hing. Saute for a few mins.
6. When the rice has cooled down enough, add this fried mixture/popu to the rice and mix well.
7. Finally, add the lemon juice to the rice and mix well. Give a taste and adjust lemon juice and salt as desired.
This is a perfect variety of rice which is very flavorful yet quick to make. Have it with some yogurt or mango pickle and its yum yum yum!