Aloo Poha/Atukulu Upma
Prep + Cooking time: 30 mins
– Poha/Atukulu/Flattened Rice – 2 cups
– Aloo/Potatoes – 3 or 4 small sized
– Green Peas – 1/2 cup
– Onions – 1 small sized
– Green Chillies – 4 or 5
– Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
– Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
– Curry Leaves – 5 or 6
– Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
– Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
– Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or to taste
– Lime juice – 1n1/2 tsp
1. In a colander, wash the poha under cold water for a minute. Once, all the water is drained remove it to a bowl and set aside. (Don’t rinse the poha in water for too long, it can become mushy).
2. In a wide skillet/pot, heat about 3 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves.
3. When, they begin to splutter, add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for a few minutes until the onions are light brown.
4. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and saute for a couple of mins.
5. Meanwhile, in a bowl of water take the potatoes (skin peeled off and cut into 1-inch cubes). Also add green peas, a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt to the bowl and microwave for about 5 to 6 mins. Drain all the water and add these to the skillet. Saute for a couple of mins.
6. Now, add the poha to the skillet. Saute, cover and cook for about 10 mins. (Keep checking every 2 minutes to make sure the poha does not stick and get burnt at the bottom.)
7. You can add a few tsps of water so that the poha is not too dry.
8. Finally, add the lime juice; give a quick mix and you have a fine n easy weekend breakfast ready!